Easter is almost here and I’m so excited about the long weekend and eating delicious treats. Fingers crossed I get a huge chocolate Lindt bunny from hubby. (hint hint)
Mum’s making lasagna for Sunday lunch, and the family’s turning up. That’s when I’ll also be handing out Easter chocolates to the kids.
It’s rare that I turn up anywhere empty-handed, so I’ve been pondering what to make for the get together. At first I considered a vanilla cheesecake topped with strawberry jelly, and it just happens to be hubby’s favourite, but it’s a chilled dessert and it’s been getting colder. A chocolate cake? Nah, that’s not Easter exciting, unless I top it with loads of chocolate Easter eggs. Or maybe hot cross buns, except I’m a bit time strapped. Then it hit me, what about hot cross cupcakes. A twist on the buns, and they can be done in no time.
I decided to go with a basic vanilla cupcake recipe with sultanas and cinnamon. And the fun part is decorating the cupcakes, aside from eating them, of course. 😛
– 230g softened butter
– 210g self-raising flour
– 190g caster (superfine) sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 cup sultanas
This will make 12 cupcakes, depending on size of your cup patties.
1. Combine all the ingredients and beat in a mixer under pale – usually 2-3 minutes.
2. Place cupcake baking cups in a muffin pan, and spoon mixture into the cups.
3. Bake for approximately 20 minutes on 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
4. Decorate your cupcakes, creating a cross to replicate hot cross buns.