It’s mother’s day this weekend, and I’ll be indulging my mom with these yummy lemon and poppy seed cupcakes. Very easy and quick to make, plus all the fun is in the decorating.
– 230g softened butter
– 210g self raising flour
– 190g caster (superfine) sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
– 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional – I like the extra lemony taste)
– 250g softened butter
– 3 cups sifted icing sugar
– 2 tablespoons milk
– food coloring of your choice
This will make 14-18 cupcakes, depending on size of your trays / patties.
1. Combine all the ingredients and beat in a mixer until pale – usually 2-3 minutes.
2. Place cupcake baking cups in a muffin pan, and spoon mixture into the cups.
3. Bake for approximately 20 minutes on 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Cream the butter, icing sugar and milk until smooth
- Add a couple of drops of the food coloring and mix until you achieve the color you want
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag, and decorate your cupcakes.
Tip: Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for around 3 days. If they haven’t been eaten before then.