1304 – The Harbinger, the fourth story in The 13th Floor Series from Christine Rains is out. This story is very different to the first three – and I loved every part of it. I was very luck to get to read it before it was launched. Read to the bottom of this post because Christine is having a HUGE giveaway to a few lucky readers.
Now Christine is going to give us a run down of her top Greek Mythical Creatures:
13 GREEK MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURES
1) Harpies. Most people think of ferocious bird-women who terrorize people at Zeus’ bidding. Harpies were originally beautiful women with eagle’s wings and feet. They had their own civilization and chose an alliance with Zeus. Modern day harpies are much like any other woman. Sure, they can tear out your throat with their talons, but they do love designer shoes.
2) The gods. The immortal dysfunctional family. Stay in their favor lest you end up in the belly of a leviathan or get turned into a poodle.
3) Minotaurs. A proud warrior race descended from the first minotaur in the King Midas’ labyrinth. They’d be more fearsome if they had any thoughts much farther beyond a bull’s.
4) Basilisks. Deadly lizards with the power to turn their victims to stone with their gaze and bite. I wonder if they have any relation to gorgons. Distant cousins? Imagine those family reunions.
5) Hydra. A many-headed water serpent, and each time someone cuts one off, two more grow in its place. Heracles killed the Lernaean Hydra, but who’s to say that one or more of those heads didn’t wiggle off somewhere and grow again.
6) Cyclopes. These evil giants killed and ate unfortunate seafarers who landed on Sicily. Plastic surgery and organ transplants have done wonders for the cyclopes. You might think you’re meeting with a tall and gorgeous man, but really one of those eyes isn’t his.
7) Satyrs. Wild and hairy half-goat, half-man. They often reveled with Dionysus. Many became famous hair metal bands in the 80s.
8) Chimera. A fire-spitting monster with three heads: goat’s, lion’s, and snake’s. There are still sightings today of the Chimera near the permanent gas vents in Turkey. Or, perhaps, those vents are putting out some freaky chemicals!
9) Sphinx. Creatures with the head and shoulders of a woman on the body of a winged lion. A few myths include male sphinxes and others have them loving riddles. Possibly a descendant of the chimera. Gods will sleep with anything!
10) Cerberus. Hades’ three-headed dog who guarded the entrance to the Underworld. As much as I want to believe Harry Potter, I don’t think music could lull this beast to sleep because the myths say it never fell asleep!
11) Nymphs. There are several types, but you’ll see them often at the Playboy mansion.
12) Gryphons. With the bodies of lions and the heads and wings of eagles, they’re beautiful creatures. They were highly prized for their gold talons and precious eggs which is why you’ll not see any today. Sorry, not even at Hogwarts.
13) Centaurs. Half-man, half-horse beings. There have been too many graphic romances written about them. Seriously! Just type it into Google and you’ll be horrified.
Title: 1304 – The Harbinger (The 13th Floor series, #4)
Author: Christine Rains
Genre: paranormal romance
Release date: March 13th, 2013
Meira Harper loves both her jobs: talking about beautiful shoes and fetching souls for Zeus. But the Thunder God threatens the harpy’s loyalty to her job when she receives the call to bring the soul of gorgeous Sam Wright. Meira pleads with her boss to let him live. Zeus agrees, but Sam must fight for his life. If Sam can win three challenges, he can keep his soul.
The gods never play fairly, though, so Meira needs to find ways to help Sam with the challenges. She cannot outwardly cross her master, but she refuses to let the man she loves lose his soul. They haven’t even had a chance to start a life together.
Sam’s soul is on the line. Meira’s will be too if she’s caught, but that’s a risk she’s willing to take.
1304 – The Harbinger is available at:
Christine has been kind enough to offer 3 people the chance to win digital copies of the stories in her series, plus an ARC of book 5. Even I haven’t read book 5 yet. Very exciting. Open internationally. Please click on the link below to enter… (sorry, Rafflecopter refused to show up on my blog)
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she’s not writing or reading, she having adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She’s a member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. The 13th Floor series is her first self-published series. She has five novellas and eighteen short stories published.
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she’s not writing or reading, she having adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She’s a member of S.C.I.F.I. The 13th Floor series is her first self-published series. She also has four novellas and eighteen short stories published.
Where you can stalk her: